Lodge for high-ranking officials: Jeonjugaeksa
In the past as it is now, finding a place to stay was one of the most important things for travelers. To accommodate travelers, there were lodges called “Gaeksa.” However, those who stayed at Gaeksa were not ordinary people, but high-ranking government officials or foreign envoys. Of course, there was a Gaeksa in Jeonju. In the main hall of Jeonjugaeksa, there is a sign saying “Pungpaejigwan (豊沛之館),” signifying that Jeonju was the root of the Joseon Dynasty.
Jeonjugaeksa was built with the materials left after construction of Jeonjusago was completed in 1471. There were many buildings in Jeonjugaeksa, including the Main Hall and Dongikheon, Seoikheon, Maengcheong, and Musinsa. However, only the Main Hall, Dongikheon, Seoikheon, and Sujiksa remain. The buildings were restored in 1999. It is Treasure No. 583.
Jeonjugaeksa is located on the main street of downtown Jeonju. Thus, it serves as a meeting point for people. It is common to find many people taking a rest on the floors of the old buildings. The creaking sounds the buildings make almost make them seem like they are alive.
- Address: Jeollabuk-do Jeonju-si Wansan-gu Jungang-dong 1-1
- Telephone: 063-281-2790
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
- Admission fee: Free
- Parking fee: No information
- Guided tour: Please call for more information (063-281-2790)
- Photo spots: Both ends of toenmaru(narrow wooden floor attached to the building) of Jeonjugaeksa
– Photo Galleries –
Pillars of Jeonjugaeksa
Pungaejigwan, sign symbolizing the Joseon Dynasty