Where the portrait of King Taejo is enshrined: Gyeonggijeon Shrine
After the establishment of the Joseon Dynasty, Jeonju immediately became an important area since it was the hometown of King Taejo. The beginning of a new dynasty was like a whole new world. It raised the status of the province to “Bu,” and was named “Wansanyusubu.” It was then renamed “Jeonjubu” in 1403, and the name didn’t change until the end of the Joseon Dynasty.
Gyeonggijeon, where the portrait of King Taejo is enshrined, had a different name in the beginning. When it was established in 1410, it was called “Jinjeon” and then renamed “Gyeonggijeon” in 1442. This place was well known because it stored the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty. In 1439, King Sejong established Jeonjusago, the archives of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty. During the Korea-Japan War in the 16th century, the annals were moved to Naejangsan and Myohyangsan. The annals stored at Jeonjusago have survived to this day they are listed in UNESCO’s Memory of the World register. Gyeonggijeon is not only an important site in relation to Jeonju’s identity, but is also a sacred place of the Joseon Dynasty.
When viewed from outside, Gyeonggijeon looks like a forest in the middle of a city. Now it serves as a resting place for citizens, rather than a sacred place.
- Address: Jeollabuk-do Jeonju-si Wansan-gu Pungnamdong 102
- Telephone: 063-281-2891
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
- Admission fee: Free
- Parking fee: 200won
- Guided tour: English, Japanese and Chinese-speaking guides are available. Please call for more information (063-281-2891).
- Photogenic spot: Bamboo forest located on the way to Jeonjusago
– Photo Galleries –
Portrait of King Taejo
Walking trail in Gyeonggijeon
Gyeonggijeon, Joseon Dynasty shrine
Jeonjusago, historical archives