[South Coast] Travel to every corner of the South Coast with Admiral Yi Sun-sin : Day 4

Photo Galleries

Travel to every corner of the South Coast with Admiral Yi Sun-sin

Day 4:Tongyeong Port-Jeseungdang on Hansan Island-Sebyeonggwan-Chungryeolsa-Lunch-Departure

1. Jeseungdang on Hansan Island, The Three Provinces’s Naval Forces Headquarters

Photo Galleries

We cannot speak about Admiral Yi without mentioning Hansan Island and Jeseungdang. The Battle of Hansan Island is remembered as one of the world’s four greatest naval campaigns. Admiral Yi employed the crane formation tactic to defeat and capture over 60 enemy ships.

Jeseungdang

Jeseundang is the headquarters of the Three Provinces’ (Gyeongsang, Jeolla, and Chungcheong) Naval Forces. Admiral Yi was appointed the Commander of the Left Jeolla Naval District in 1592 and moved the headquarters from Yeosu to Hansan Island in July 1593 for strategic reasons. Admiral Yi served as the first commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces for three years and nine months from August 1593 until his dismissal in February 1597. Jeseungdang served as the naval headquarters from 1593 until the death of Won Gyun, the successor Admiral Yi, in 1597, at the Battle of Chilcheonryang, Jeseungdang. As the name Tongyeong originated from “Tongjeyeong (naval headquarters),” it is a city closely related to Admiral Yi.

Pass the Jeseungdang ticket booth and follow the path along the coast for a while and you will see the well Admiral Yi and his men used. Unfortunately, however, the water in the well is now polluted and not drinkable. Daecheopmun Gate is located in front of the well, guarded by life-size figures of 16th century Korean navy officers.

Gallery

Pass Daecheop Gate and Chungmumun Gate a minute away and you will see Jeseungdang and the lookout tower on the right. Jeseungdang features several wall paintings that depict the battles of Hansan Island, Sacheon, and Noryang. The poem “The Song of Hansan Island” written by Admiral Yi is hung on the lookout tower. The sea and the ships guided by the Turtle Lighthouse as seen from the Lookout Tower look so serene and peaceful, it is difficult to imagine so many battles took place here.

Gallery

Behind Jeseungdang stands Hansanjeong, where Admiral Yi and his men are said to have practiced archery. Several monuments stand here, including one erected in commemoration of the restoration of Jeseungdang by Jo Gyeong, the 107th commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces in 1739. A portrait of Admiral Yi is kept in Chungmusa.

– Tips-

  • Find out about the other three naval campaigns considered to be among the world’s greatest
  • Memorize the poem “The Song of Hansan Island” by Admiral Yi Sun-sin

– User’s Guide –

  • Address: Gyeongsangnam-do Tongyeong Hansan-myeon Dueok-ri 875
  • Telephone: 055-642-8377
  • Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
  • Admission fee: Free

– Travel Tips –

Tongyeong → Hansan Island Ferry

The Hansan Island-bound ferry leaves Tongyeong Coastal Ferry Terminal every hour from 7 am to 6 pm ( from 7 am to 5 pm from October to February) (20 min).
The Tongyeong-bound ferry leaves Hansan Island from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm (from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm from October to February).

  • Fare: (Tongyeong → Hansan Island) 4,700 won for adults, 4,300 won for students, 3,850 won for seniors, 2,350 won for children
    (Hansan Island → Tongyeong) 4,300 won for adults, 3,900 won for students, 3,450 won for seniors, 2,150 won for children
    (7,000 won for groups of 30 or more adults or students; no group discount for children)
  • Parking at the Tongyeong Coastal Ferry Terminal: 500 won for 300 min and 200 won per each additional 10 min for smaller cars; 10,000 won for 200 min and 400 won per each additional 10 min for buses
  • Contact : Tongyeong Coastal Ferry Terminal 055-642-0116, Yuseong Shipping (www.gohansan.com) 055-645-3329

Hansan Island Cruise Ship at Tongyeong Cruise Terminal:

Leaves for Hansan Island every hour from 10 am to 4 pm (15 min); returns to Tongyeong roughly an hour later.

  • Fare : 10,000 won for adults (junior high school students and older), 5,000 won for children (9,000 won for groups of 15 or more adults; no discount for children)
  • Parking : 2,500 won per day for smaller cars; 4,000 won per day for larger cars
  • Contact : 055-645-2307, 646-2307

2. Sebyeonggwan, Part of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters

Photo Galleries

The Three Provinces’ (Gyeongsang, Jeolla, and Chungcheong) Naval Forces Headquarters moved from Hansan Island to Goseong for a brief period of time. Although the new location was perfect to hide ships, in the end it proved to be a less than ideal place in strategic terms. Thus Lee Gyeong-jun, the 6th commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces moved the headquarters to Duryongpo. Sebyeonggwan was completed in July 1605 as a lodging facility.

Sebyeonggwan

The word “Sebyeong” in “Sebyeonggwan” means “to wash weapons with the Milky Way.” Standing inside Sebyeonggwan is an octagonal pavilion with the Duryongpo Stele (Gyeonsangnamdo Tangible Cultural Asset No. 112) standing inside. It was erected by the 19th commander-in-chief, Gu In-hu, in 1625 to honor Lee Gyeong-Jun, the 6th commander-in-chief, who moved the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters to Duryongpo. Inscribed on the stele is Lee Gyeong-jun’s family background and career and the reason he moved the headquarters to Duryeongpo, as well as how the stele was erected. The monument was originally erected by the road near the sea, but was moved to the courtyard of Sebyeonggwan in 1904. In April 1996, the stele was moved once more to its present location after the completion of the pavilion.

Sebyeonggwan is an open building without any windows or walls. Along with Jinnamgwan in Yeosu, Sebyeonggwan is a wooden building with one of the largest floor areas among wooden buildings from the Joseon Dynasty. Sebyeonggwan served as part of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters for 290 years after its completion. It was designated as a Treasure in 1963, but its status was elevated to a National Treasure in 2002.

Gallery

The Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters consisted of several buildings, including Sebyeonggwan, Baekhwadang, and Jeonghaejeong. However, all other buildings except Sebyeonggwan were destroyed under Japanese rule. The site of the headquarters (Historic Site No. 402) was occupied by public buildings and private houses before a restoration project was undertaken to save it. In 1987, Suhangru was restored. Tongyeong City will complete the restoration project soon, at which time the headquarters site will be fully returned to its former glory.

– Tips –

  • Learn more about the Three Districts’ Naval Forces
  • Try to determine the differences between Jinnamgwan and Sebyeonggwan

– User’s Guide –

  • Address: Gyeongsangnam-do Tongyeong-si Munhwa-dong 62
  • Telephone: 055-650-4590
  • Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
  • Admission fee: Free
  • Parking fee: Free

3. Chungryeolsa, A shrine built to honor Admiral Yi Sun-shin

Photo Galleries

Chungryeolsa was built in 1606, eight years after the Korea-Japan War, by the 7th commander-in-chief, Lee Un-ryong, to commemorate Admiral Yi Sun-shin’s loyalty and achievements. King Hyeonjong (who reigned from 1659-1674) called the shrine “Chungryeolsa,” and the name on the plate was written by Song Jun-gil.

The shrine where the tablet of Admiral Yi is kept

Several shrines house Admiral Yi’s tablets, but Chungryeolsa in Tongyong is singled out for its historic value. While Hyeonchungsa in Asan is the largest shrine housing an Admiral Yi tablet, it was destroyed and later restored during the reign of regent Daewongun (1863-1873). Chungryeolsa in Tongyeong, however, remains in its original form.

Chungryeolsa consists of 17 buildings, including Dongseojae, Gyeongchungjae, Sungmudang, an Exhibition Hall and Ganghanru, and five gates. The camellia tree on the right of the Management Office is over 400 years old and has been designated a protected tree by the Korean government.

Gallery

The first thing that attracts attention in the Exhibition Hall to the left of Gwanghanru is the eight gifts sent by the emperor of the Ming Dynasty after Chinese general Chen Lin’s report about Yi’s stunning feats. The eight gifts include the seal that symbolizes Yi’s position as the Korean naval commander, a tablet on which orders were given and delivered by a messenger, a flag used to boost the fighting spirit, a trumpet used to command an army, etc. The eight gifts, designated as Treasure No. 440, are on display in the Exhibition Hall along with the funeral address by the king, Admiral Yi’s writing, and more.

Gallery

Gwanghanru houses a pavilion with a monument inside, Gyeongchungje, and Sungmudang . The shrine where Admiral Yi’s tablet is kept is behind Nasammun

– Tips –

  • Learn about the relationship between Korea and Ming China during the Korea-Japan War of the 16th century
  • Find out which relics related to Admiral Yi are designated as National Treasures or Treasures

– User’s Guide –

  • Address: Gyeongsangnam-do Tongyeong Myeongjeong-dong 213
  • Telephone: 055-645-3229
  • Website: http://www.tycr.kr
  • Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
  • Admission fee: Free
  • Parking fee: 1000won
  • Guide: 055-645-3279

– Information for this trip –

Tour Routes

Day 1
    Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea Promotion Center → Chungminsa (2.7 km, 10 min) Chungminsa → Jinnamgwan (2.8 km, 10 min) Jinnamgwan → Shipbuilding Yard (8.2 km, 25 min) Shipbuilding Yard → Suncheon Japanese Castle (23.3 km, 40 min) Shipbuilding Yard – National Highway 17 – Yeosu Airport – Yulchon Industrial Complex – Suncheon Japanese Castle Suncheon Japanese Castle → Hotel in Gwangyang (20 km, 30 min) Suncheon Japanese Castle – Namhae Expressway Donggwanyang IC – Container Terminal Junction – Container Junction – Hotel in Gwangyang

Day 2

Gwangyang Steelworks → Namhae Chungryeolsa Shrine (23 km, 30 min) Gwangyang Steelworks – Geumhoro – Taeingyo Samgeori –Seomjindaegyo Bridge on National Highway 59 – Namhae-bound Gyecheon Junction – Namhaedaegyo Bridge on National Highway 19 – Noryang Samgeori – Noryangro – Namhae Chungryeolsa Namhae Chungryeolssa → Gwaneumpo (site of Admiral Yi’s death) (4.5 km, 8 min) Namhae Chungryeolsa – Noryangro – Noryang Samgeori – Namhae Expressway – Gwaneumpo Gwaneumpo → Yi Sun-sin Theater (0.2 km, 2 min walk)

Day 3

Jijok Fishing Village → Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island (13.4 km, 19 min) Jijok Fishing Village – Jijok Samgeori – Changseondaegyo Bridge on National Highway 19 – Danhang Junction – Seoburo – Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island → Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island – Tongyeong IC on Daejeon-Tongyeong Expressway – Mineul Samgeori – Tongyeong Haeanro – Balgaero – Mireuksan Aerial Lift Mireuksan Aerial Lift → Tongyeong Youth Center (800 m, 2 min) Mireuksan Aerial Lift – Balgaero – Tongyeong Youth Center

Day 4

Cruise Boat Terminal → Sebyeonggwan (5 km, 10 min) Cruise Boat Terminal – Donamro – Yeohwangro – Seomunro – Sebyeongro – Sebyeonggwan Sebyeonggwan → Chungryeolsa (710 m, 2 min) Sebyeonggwan – Sebyeongro – Seomunro – Chungryeolsa

Useful Tips

The parking lot in front of the Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island is not spacious enough to accommodate more than three compact cars. Buses can be parked by the two-lane road at the entrance to the village or below Changseondaegyo Bridge.

Those who wish to visit Jeseungdang on Hansan Island by boat are urged to make reservations in advance. Groups of over 200 are recommended to ride cruise boats at the Cruise Boat Terminal as more boats are available from there. The ferry terminal offers commuter ferries to many islands near Tongyeong, while the cruise boat terminal offers cruise boats and ferries to Hansan Island only.

In the case where ferries are grounded due to bad weather conditions, a good tour course is to visit the undersea tunnel, Chakryangmyo Shrine, which was built to honor Admiral Yi, and Cheongma Hall nearby. Since there is no parking lot for buses near Sebyeonggwan in Tongyeong, it is safer to park buses near the next destination, Chungryeolsa, rather than to park by the road. Sebyeonggwan is only 7 minutes away from Chungryeolsa on foot.

Recommended Accommodations

Gwangyang
  1. 1) Renaissance Motel Located across from the Gwangyang Fire Station, the Renaissance Motel has 45 guest rooms. / 061-795-1700
  2. 2) Swiss Motel The Swiss Motel consists of 35 guest rooms and stands near the Lobis Motel . It caters to group tourists. / 061-792-9680 /光陽市馬洞1112-1
  3. 3) Lobis Motel The Lobis Motel near Figaro Golf is equipped with 31 guestrooms./ 061-793-9933
Namhae
  1. 1) Namhae Youth Hostel Namhae Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 500 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 200 people at a time. / 055-867-4848
  2. 2) Hallyeo Youth Hostel Hallyeo Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 700 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 250 people at a time./ 055-867-4510
  3. 3) Namhae Bada Youth Hostel Namhae Bada Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 250 guests and the cafeteria can cater for up to 240 people at a time./ 055-867-4849
  4. 4) Gaetmaeul Beachtel Gaetmaeul Beachtel consists of a motel with 27 guestrooms and a pension that can accommodate up to 100 guests. A total of 200 guests can stay at this hotel at a time./ 055-863-5035
Tongyeong
  1. 1)Tongyeong City Youth Center Located in Donam-dong, the Tongyeong City Youth Center can accommodate up to 500 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 220 guests at a time./ 055-646-7925 / http://tyyouth.or.kr/
  2. 2) Wins Motel  061-648-8980 This motel across from the ferry terminal is equipped with 40 guestrooms.
  3. 3) Rivera Motel  055-642-0055 Located next to the ferry terminal, the Rivera Motel has 28 guestrooms and two spacious suites on the 7th floor.

Restaurants

Pungmijeong (061-793-9999) near Gwangyang City Hall can serve up to 120 customers at a time and features soybean paste soup and kimchi soup, as well as meat dishes. Namhae Hanu Plaza (055-863-9292) is spacious enough to accommodate up to 300 guests at a time and serves galbitang (beef rib soup) for 4,000 won. Gwaneumpo Garden (055-863-2056) by the sea in Galhwa-ri Gohyeon-myeon can accommodate up to 200 people and is well known for soybean paste soup, and shrimp and brown seaweed soup. Buffet Cheong (055-863-4471) in Bukbyeon-ri Namgae-eup can serve up to 550 customers at a time and is buffet style. Tonyeong Haemul Bapsang (055-793-7474) in Jangpyeong-ri Yongnam-myeon features some 20 oyster and sashimi dishes and can serve up to 300 people at a time.

source: eng.expo2012.kr

Advertisements