The Yeosu Project – Summary
Overview of the Yeosu Project
- The Yeosu Project is an international cooperation program designed to strengthen capabilities of developing countries in order to meet the challenges related to the ocean and the environment.
- It is being developed as the practical element that translates the spirit of the Yeosu Declaration and the theme of Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea into action.
- The Yeosu Project will become an important legacy of Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea by helping developing countries create forward-looking and environment-friendly methods to preserve and make judicious use of marine resources.
- A total of ten billion won (approx. ten million US dollars) will be invested in the pilot projects by the Korean government from 2009 to 2012 to join the world in coping with the marine-related challenges.
Types of Support
- The Yeosu Project will offer support to developing countries in the forms of education and training programs, research & development, and dispatch of experts.
- The policy-makers and researchers from developing nations will be invited to Korea to gain knowledge from the country’s experience and technology. Also, support will be provided for the training of professionals seeking solutions to ocean-related issues in developing nations, and for the development of research curriculums in partnership with Korean research institutes and marine research centers.
- The education and training programs and research & development projects will focus on:
– Preserving the marine ecological system, reducing pollutants contaminating oceans, and realizing advanced marine technology
– Advancing the developing world in environmentally respectful marine resource development, especially in the areas of commercialization and utilization of marine organisms, and in the exploration of ocean mineral resources.
– Cultivating the marine industry, including projects related to environmentally-friendly fishing technologies, restoration of fish species, cutting-edge fish farming techniques, port logistics technologies and marine equipment.
Improvement of the marine environment
Research on measures to respond to climate change, marine pollution, management and conservation of marine resources, marine exploration, and marine safety
- Management and conservation of marine resources: Discovery and implementation of technology for the maintenance of biodiversity and restoration of coastal wetlands
- Response to marine pollution: Research on technology for handling oil spills in oceans, measures to cut shipping-related greenhouse gas emissions, and ways to deal with marine environmental pollution
- Marine environment exploration: Observation of climate and environmental changes and how technology can be used to handle these problems to improve overall management of the coastal environment
- Marine safety measures: Development of a real-time coastal marine observation system, early disaster alarm system, and technology for the prevention of harbor-related disasters
Development of new marine technologies
Research on ways to develop unlimited marine resources including seawater resources(desalination and deep ocean water), marine energy, and biological resources
- Practical use of fisheries resources: Development of deep-sea water, utilization of underwater ground water and desalination, and prevention of saline intrusion into ground water
- Development of marine biological resources: Research on new materials and marine medicine, and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions using sea algae
- Utilization of marine mineral resources: Feasibility studies on offshore oil and gas development, and underwater CO2 storage technology
Preservation and utilization of marine resources
Development of a system to foster the sustainability of marine resources, and advancement of logistics and harbor technologies
- Preservation of fisheries resources: Implementation of technologies for the restoration of biodiversity and the conservation of marine resources, including eco-friendly ecological aquaculture technology and floating aquaculture technology
- Advancement of fisheries technology: Development of Smart Fish Aggregating Device (Smart FAD), research on changes in fisheries in relation to rising sea temperatures, and promotion of fisheries technologies and port logistics technologies