The Yeosu Declaration – Summary
The Essence of the Yeosu Declaration
- The ocean is essential to the well-being of all humanity and it should be taken care of for present and future generations.
- The ocean, as repository of diverse resources, provides a foundation for human civilization and survival.
- The ocean is faced with significant threats of degraded ecosystems, calling for concerted global efforts to minimize and reverse the damage brought upon the ocean ecosystem.
- Education and capacity building on the responsible use of the marine resources are critical for marine conservation and development.
- Extreme weather events resulting from climate change pose significant challenges to our civilization, demanding augmented scientific data and knowledge.
- Understanding of the ocean, as well as voluntary contributions and actions by the general public are indispensable for sustainable marine stewardship.
- The ocean is a new driver of economic growth, i.e., the ”Blue Economy” will foster a governance architecture for the development of future green growth technology.
- The ocean is ”One Ocean,” a space for peace, cooperation, and prosperity of humankind.
- Best efforts are needed to promote maritime cultures for educating the public to develop the ocean sustainably for the benefit of future generations.
- Domestic and international efforts should be undertaken to place increased emphasis on overseas development assistance.